Monday, June 1, 2009

A Challenge

I don't want to be an irritating gadfly. I do realize that people are busy, that they get overwhelmed by their current activities, and thinking takes time and the luxury of not being in the whirlwind of things.

But, I would like to challenge Ezra Levant on a couple of things - I know Mr. Levant is up to challenges.

First, can he give me alternate theories/ideas for how the HRCs keep increasing their cases each year? I propose that some of it has to do with the large number of new visible minority immigrants being admitted into Canada, who become an ever-replenishable pool of future complainants.

Of course, there will always be women, the disabled, the homosexual, etc., who will bring forth new cases. But their numbers surely cannot be comparable to these new, adult, immigrants. (For starters, “new” women have to be born, and it takes at least eighteen years for these “new” women to file a case. New immigrants, on the otherhand, arrive as adults ready to file).

My second challenge, once I've established the HRC-immigrant connection as tightly as possible - although I think it is pretty tight now - is this:

As I’ve shown above, one of the easiest ways to decrease the HRCs' powers and to eventually shut them down, would surely be to stop and/or to reduce incoming immigrants. (It will be much harder to stop the other groups, let alone reduce their numbers). 

Would Mr. Levant be prepared to make such a commitment towards immigration reform in Canada? He is already an outspoken and well-known leader, and would be a prime candidate.

My reasoning is simple. The HRCs made his life miserable for several years. This un-Canadian institution, as he himself has said, has no place in Canada.  

But, it is not enough to demand that the HRCs be shut down. They gain their power from their applicants, of which visible minorities and immigrants are an ever available (and increasing) pool. Thus, shutting down the HRCs and reforming immigration naturally go hand in hand.