Monday, July 20, 2015

The Mourning Dove: A Call to Action

Below is a dove I saw flying from tree to tree, and then it decided to stop by a small patch of grass, where it pecked at some seeds. I had drawn a portrait of one a couple of years ago, but the photo I used came from Wikipedia!

Confession: I have never seen a real-live mourning dove, although I have heard its lovely sound (in the Philadelphia area, last Spring).

Below is a photograph I managed to catch of this fleeting dove, and below that is my rendition of one perched on a branch.

I thought for a long time that it was "morning dove" but it is perhap apt that it be "mourning." Animal sounds often give us the mood of the times. A mourning dove, reminding us that we should be aware of what we are losing, and as my modest blog attempts to do, to reclaim it once again.




I a