Thursday, July 30, 2015

Agit-Prop

Bojagi (Korean traditional wrapping cloth) was a great influence on my work at the beginning of my art practice. Even though my work has changed over the years I still have a desire to revisit the point where I started once in a while: not so much out of nostalgia but for fresh inspiration. And, yes, the familiar Korean textile never fail to encourage my search --- perhaps it is a consolation that I look for unconsciously living so far away from Korea. It may not be an exaggeration to say that Bojagi has been the anchor to hold me secure in times of doubt.



Typically, my approach to surface embellishment is based on a strong response to the character of the material itself. Ramie and hemp were widely used in Korea in earlier times for clothing and bedding in summer because of their natural coolness and subtle paper-like quality. The unusual stiffness of these materials has allowed me to revisit my textile heritage in a more playful, collage-like manner in some cases. (Chung-Im Kim)


These recent works exlpores the chaotic order resulting from many small pieces containing broken images. I tend to see each of these parts as an independent soul containing unique power and energy that then together becomes an entity as cells to a body. I hope to evoke the birthing tension when all are gathered. (Chung-Im Kim)

The abstracted, simplified, silk-printed images of Kim on her "bogagie" which is non-traditional (orignal bogagie were constructed uses strips of cloth, not


I wrote the following email to a group of friends and colleagues which meets regularly for dinner and discussions:

Dear --- and friends,

I thought I had replied to your dinner RSVP, but it looks like I haven't. I will join you next month.

Meanwhile, your discussion topic (topics) struck a chord.

- Anti-liberal agit-prop:

I have been doing a bit of that these days.

The very liberal, very, very multi-culti, and therefore logically anti-West/anti-White Art Gallery of Mississauga has been hosting a series of exhibitions which I am in the process of "deconstructing," to use leftist artists' lingo.

There is a strong group that is taking over (or being given the place in a silver platter) and it is Chinese artists.

Here is my first of a series of posts on recent exhibitions at the AGM:

The Aggression of Alien (Alienated) Asian Artists 1. Tammy Tang: Employing Less Materiality

Asians are a difficult group to analyse. But I have called their contribution to Western society sup-par in posts here, here, here and here (amongst many others).

Politically, this is the group many hope will become staunch conservatives, but instead they almost always end up showing their "true colors" as liberals (liberal conservatives).

In the arts it is the same. I keep thinking I will find the next Asian Raphael, but all that ever happens is that they produce a wonderful collage of appropriated (Western) art, but with the inevitable Eastern direction. And the same in design.

Asians will NOT save the West. Multiculturalism will NOT save the West. Liberals will NOT save the West.

So, even if this is a little off-topic, I think it addresses Jim's point to carry on a general anti-liberal agit-prop, and realize that multicultural really means everyone against the West, Western art, Western philosophy and politics, and Western culture.

Bon Appetit , and I am very glad that you have resumed meeting at the lovely --- .

Kidist