Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Coercions into Victim Status

Photo from Toronto Star article: "Near half
in Greater Toronto Area (GTA) minorities"


The favorite cop-out for all minorities, blacks, Asians, Muslims,etc., is to play the victim card. Any person that doesn't belong to the still-majority white culture, whether conservative or liberal, libertarian or neo-conservative, will at some point pull out this card. I once told someone that I have never been tempted to pull out this card, even a triple-trump one as a female, minority, immigrant (I'm sure there are more I could reel off). I don't really know why this is. It could just be a freak of nature, although I don't think so. My theory on that is long, and for another time. Partly, I think it is to do with my interest in art, and true, honest art requires excellence and discrimination. My love of art is too pure to make horrible compromises.

Recently, I have been thinking about how minority cultures are built. For example, how do blacks (both here in Canada and in the U.S.) segregate themselves as a victimized group? How do black families live collectively like that? What kinds of subtle pressures and constant nudgings convince whole groups to agree with and accept a victim status? How do people reconcile the outright lies and other more shifty paradigms with their real social conditions? Is the truth so hard to bear?

Partly, of course, it is the deep-seated fear of being shunned and ostracized. Strong group leaders, with a lot of love and compassion in mind, fascistically coerce their members to "be like them, or else." There is a lot to lose with the "or else."

But, that is the weakness of those coerced. Accepting a lie is as bad as lying. Every single individual has the opportunity to rise up to the truth. It doesn’t require an undue amount of intelligence or subtlety. It really boils down to humility before greater forces. Humility before God.