Thursday, October 7, 2010

Update on Lars Vilks's Artistic Background

Portrait of what looks like a Middle Easterner 
(could it be a sympathetic/complementary portrait 
of Muhammad?) by Lars Vilks which he showed 
his audience at the International Free Press Society 
event on Sunday.

I should emphasize that Lars Vilks (here is a post I wrote on his presentation in Toronto at the International Free Press Society's meeting this past Sunday) is an art historian and an artist. As Mary Lou Ambroglio, Vice President of International Free Press Society-Canada, clarifies to me in an email, his scribbly Muhammad cartoons:
[were] something he did specifically for a small little exhibition which he was invited to make a submission to. I believe the exhibition was entitled, "Oh My God", and was meant to explore the boundaries in art when it came to religion, hence his decision to do something related to Islam.
Here is Lars Vilks's blog. It is in Swedish, so I can only make guesses at what he's saying. But, fortunately, the portrait I was talking about is posted there, although I cannot decipher who the subject is. He looks Middle Eastern. Could he be Muhammad as perceived (in a complementary way) by Vilks?

N.B. I am still working on the correct (appropriate) spelling for Muhammad. The IFPS spells it Muhammad, other writers spell it in various ways, including Mohammad. This latter looks to me the most "attractive," if there can be such an adjective to describe a word. Nonetheless, it is interesting that such a decisive figure in history, whose movement aimed to destroy and reshape so much of the West (and the world), doesn't seem to have a sure spelling for his name in the English language.