Thursday, March 4, 2010

Of Burkas, Crosses and Yarmulkes

A few years ago, when Ontario was in the grips of battling off Sharia law, I watched with fascination as a Muslim Iranian woman courageously condemned Sharia as misogynistic, and that it had no place in Ontario or Canada. Ontario finally banned Sharia law, but also threw out Jewish and Catholic tribunals in the name of multiculturalism.

At that time, I had no blog. And I decided to write an article, and send it to the National Post. My article condemned the compromise (or inclusiveness) that these Muslims (mostly women) and non-Muslims were asking of the Ontario court system, in outlawing all religious tribunals.

I realized in those elementary moments of my education about Islam, Muslims and the West, that there was a big difference between on the one side Jews and Catholics, and on the other, Muslims. It was actually depressing to watch Jewish commentators come out for multiculturalism, who were willing to give up their own tribunals for the sake of "harmony." And the inept and ultra-liberal (and Liberal) Ontario Premier making impassioned speeches about one law for all was at the nadir of his political life, I thought.

I wrote the article, but no one would publish it at the time. Later on, I edited it somewhat (to make it more current) and ChronWatch.com published it in 2008. Here is the article, which is titled: Islam’s Missionary Women.

I write this now because Islam’s contributions to the West are still considered to be on the same level as those of Jews, and Western nations' founding Christians. But Wilders, whose party has now won in one municipality, and came second in another, and is expected to have big wins in the national elections, says that is not so. Ban the burkas, not the crosses or yarmulkes, is his declaration. How hard is it to come to that conclusion? This is more-or-less what I said about five years ago. The tragedy, though, is that modern people, who are deep in the throes of liberalism, still refuse to discriminate between that which is the source of Western civilization, and that which will seal its death.