Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Is There a Counter-Jihad Movement in Canada?

I'm trying to figure out if a genuine counter-jihad movement exists in Canada. I thought there was a potential for one with Ezra Levant's retaliation to the absurd Human Rights Commissions complaint against him for publishing Kurt Westergaard’s Mohammed cartoons.

I wrote extensively on this, and even set up an independent link on the side panel titled: Humand Rights Commissions. I felt that this was Levant's chance to turn the issue of freedom of speech and expression, as he is wont to do as a journalist, into the underlying factor that caused his three years of misery. And that would be Islam.

Levant, although he does talk about radical Islam, and writes scathing commentary about individual Muslims, has never connected the dots between the high levels of Muslim immigrants and the treatment he received. He believes it is just a small contingency of radical (and irrational) Muslims which is problematic. But, he never writes about the silent Muslim majority, which never denounced his three-year ordeal simply for publishing cartoons of their prophet. By their silence, these Muslims were in effect supporting their "radical" brothers. And this is surely the example for future events.

Other bloggers which have placed some priority to the Muslim issue are Kathy Shaidle, Kate McMillan, Jay Currie, Wendy Sullivan and bloggers who go by Blazing Cat Fur and Dr. Roy. There may be more, but these are the most vocal. All of them take Levant's stance that jihad is mostly a problem of radical Muslims.

But one of them, Kathy Shaidle, has started periodically to post "Stop All Muslim Immigration" on her blog. I recently sent her an email (posted here at my blog) telling her that it might help her readers if she elucidated further on her headline style postings. With the email, I also sent her links to Lawrence Auster’s articles on strategies to combat Islam, including stopping Muslim immigration, containing the Muslims that are already here, and finally finding ways to remove Muslims from our societies. It is a practical and feasible guide.

She returned my email by saying she would read these articles. But her next exclamatory "Stop Muslim Immigration" appeared on her blog without any qualifying statements just a few days ago. And I’m afraid she is not willing to pay much attention to my advice.

Despite their vocal protests against radical Muslims, and Shaidle's occasional headlines to stop Muslim immigration, I don't think this group of bloggers has identified itself as a counter-jihad group.

So, that leaves us with the newly formed Canadian branch of the International Free Press Society. I am familiar with their new President, Bjorn Larsen. In fact, he invited me up to New York City last September to participate in Kurt Westergaards U.S. tour (here are my follow-up posts on my trip). IFPS-Canada is still in its infancy, so I will wait and see what proposals its members make. Until then, I can safely say that there is no counter-jihad movement in Canada.