Wednesday, August 12, 2009

How Our Landscape Changes in Subtle Ways

My last post was about the subtle ways in which divided loyalties cause individuals to behave against the best interests of their "host" countries. It was somehow symbolized for me by the bow Euna Lee made as she exited the plane that brought her and Laura Ling back to safety from North Korea. 

As I was reviewing my posts on "Action" [see Topics listed alphabetically on side column] against the Islamic incursion, I remembered this video of Supna Zaidi, who is a Muslim herself, and who was advocating rallying up the (non-existent) moderate Muslims for the counter-jihad movement.

A very short section of her speech caught my attention then, and I thought it would be a good time to reproduce it here.


Near the very end of her 34 minute presentation, Supna Zaidi says:
I have a nephew who's one years [sic] old. He's growing up in New Jersey. His Dad's a doctor. They aren't rich yet - my brother is paying off his loans. He's going to grow up middle class, at least. He has no reason to think of himself as a marginalized inddividual by the time he's twenty.
So far so good, sounds like an all-American toddler with the future ahead of him.

Then Supna says this:
But, when he grows up, and he will grow up Muslim...
What struck me was the absolute ease and confidence with which she said this. It is of course natural for her to say this about her religion and her family. But imagine a few decades ago: would any non-Christian individuals, including Jews who were changing their names to fit into the white Christian country they immigrated to, speak so boldly and uninhibitedly about their religion?

I think this is how indoctrinated we are these days that we talk about, and accept, foreign religions as though they were American as apple pie (or Canadian as maple syrup).

I think we need to start voicing discomfort with, if not abhorrence for, these foreign intrusions into our societies. Korean bows, Muslim upbringings, Asian Americans who put America in danger.

Our world is changing in front of us so subtly, yet so radically, that we are hardly alert to the dangers.