Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Doing Business Immigrant (Arab?) Style


I recently needed to buy a new case for my glasses (which I need for long distance viewing), and went to the famous Toronto optician, Hakim, to look for one. The original Hakim was apparently an immigrant from Iran, who started this very successful store which is now established throughout Canada.

I found what I thought was the right one, a conservative black case, and went to the cashier to pay for it. The woman at the store, who looked like the manager, didn't charge me for tax, and I thought it was a promotional tactic, and thanked her and left.

The next day, I realized that this black case was a little too small for my glasses, and I didn't want to break my lenses. So, I went back for an exchange. They only had a fluorescent blue which would fit my glasses. Well, I like blue, and it is summer, after all, I reasoned. Plus, $10 is a bargain.

So, as I was pulling out my receipt from the day before, the shop manager (different, this time), said she didn't need it, and just exchanged the box for me.

Now, doesn't this store keep some kind of inventory? When was a black conservative case the same as a blue fluorescent one? Aren't there serial numbers and other identification marks to show two different boxes underwent two different transactions (one bought, the other bought then returned)?

I think the two managers (one looked Arab, the other Indian) were working in that fluid Middle Eastern style, where bargaining, small financial favors and other alien store practices take place.

But, why should I trust them in the future? For all I know, they don't keep proper tax records; or they don’t have fixed prices and only the savvy customers (Arabs?) will know when and how to bargain down the prices.

This is the kind of culture we are having to get used to.