Thursday, August 12, 2010

Moratorium on exotic representations

I wrote the blog entry Moratorium on exotic representations almost two years ago. The problems, and my appeal, are still relevant (and even more so) today.

Perhaps a more appropriate title, which better describes our current problems, would be: Moratorium on Islamic representations.

-------------------------------------------------------------
 Moratorium on exotic representations
Our Changing Landscape
Friday, September 26, 2008

I understand and appreciate fully the creative desire at times to represent "exoticism." And this is just what I did with my gouache print design which I did a couple of years ago entitled "Desert Jewels." I'm pretty sure it is the turquoise domes of the Iraqi landscapes which inspired me to do this.

But, this type of occasional representation is a far cry from the stories of design and fashion changes that our Muslim residents are planning for our cities.


Photo
Print design "Desert Jewels"

With sadness, I have to conclude that exoticism has to be out for now. And we are far better off going back to our original landscape to reinforce it back into our psyche.

Fortunately, I did just that last year, with my Trillium and Queen Anne's Lace series.

Photo
Print design
"Trillium/Queen Anne's Lace"


(End of September 26, 2008 entry)
-------------------------------------------------------------

I have already posted my article Stealthy Islamic Inroads into our culture (published at Chronwatch.com) at a recent blog post, but it bears referencing once again since it documents the cultural (and not just political and religious) inroads Islam  is making into our society.

Stealthy Islamic inroads into our culture.
Chronwatch
July 24, 2008