Tuesday, July 20, 2010

China Rising?

The "public television" of Canada (or Ontario, to be more precise) called Television Ontario (TVO) has started a five-day program on China. Last night's (July 19th) episode was titled "Fears and Facts about China." Recently, I have been having premonitions about China, starting from St. Paul's decision to evangelize westward instead of eastward, and leaving out those big lands like India and China to find Christ through other means, to the overwhelming presence of Chinese - or East Asian - people in Toronto which is made even more prominent by the large number of Chinese women with white (and now more frequently, black) men. The goal is to dominate the West (and the world), at least economically for now, and surely for bigger and better political gains in the future.

I remember getting a visceral, negative feeling when we heard about the "poisoned" dog and cat food, medicine, and paint that were part of China's exports recently. I don't think the Chinese are conspiring to kill people off with their spoiled goods, but I think the Chinese hegemony is not nearly as functional and trustworthy as we like to think it is. I don't think that their standards are up to par with the West, hence all the products that kept going wrong. But, I don't doubt that they have found an uncontested entry into the Western (and Christian) world, and are building their influences and presence through many ways.

Unfortunately, the video for the panel discussion on "Fears and Facts about China" is not up (these episodes are all repeat programs). One member of the TVO panel, Daniel W. Drezner from the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, voices the same opinion as I do about China's ambitions, and elaborates further that if things keep going in this direction the West will have no choice but to cause the retreat of the ever-encroaching Chinese. This is, after all, what happened to the Japanese in WWII. Those are his thoughts, and I have also voiced this opinion in discussions.

As I wrote in my July 15 blog "Islam and the Antichrist," I try not to be a doomsday advocate. But, so many things seem to be going in that direction in our era.